I use the term "Fast Yoga" to describe simple bodyweight movement flows that I incorporate into my daily training. Often times these are my pre- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu warm-ups but I also like to do some fast yoga flows before other non-BJJ related training like barbell or kettlebell work.
You could also use these flows as a pick-me-up during the day to improve mobility, brain and blood flow or just to improve your mood.
The flow below is a basic flow consisting of a full squat, a sit-through or sit-out and standing up in base.
Here are just a few quick tips:
- Feel free to hang out in any one of those positions as long as you like. There is no right or wrong here actually...do whatever is resonating with your own body at that particular time.
- Feel free to sway and swagger gently from side to side. Check your stability and base. Play with active and non-active shoulders. Play with the position of your palm and gently pry open your hips with your elbows.
- For more conditioning add some speed and quickness to your flow. Jump into your sit-through and add a jump into the technical stand-up.
- You can set a timer or work for repetitions...both options work quite well.
- Finally, you can combine this flow with other training tools and methods. For example, doing some jump-rope work prior to this flow would be great.
Please try it out and let me know how it goes...have a question ? Let me know.